About our cover:
Venturing Crew 2031 of Canyon, Tex., begins a new day of paddling in the Boundary Waters Wilderness of western Ontario. Known as the "Canoe Capital of Canada," the Atikokan region is one of three canoeing programs offered by the BSA's Northern Tier National High Adventure Bases. Freelance writer Doug Smith chronicles the Venturers' trip beginning.
In the October 2004 Issue
- Paddle and PortageAn Atikokan Journey
- On the remote waterways of a vast Canadian wilderness,
a Texas Venturing crew finds adventure, beauty, and stories of grit and
- A New Generation
- Trailblazer Adventure Day provides many boys with their
first chance to cast a fishing line or shoot an air rifle.
- A New Vision of Youth Leadership
- Revised council-level training will help prepare Scouts
more than ever to provide important leadership to their troops.
- Roundtable Fiesta!
- New Jersey Scouters create a fun-filled evening to help
leaders prepare exciting pack meetings for their Cub Scouts.
- Get a Grip!
- Scouts and leaders from Louisville's Troop 1 travel
to eastern Kentucky's famous rock-climbing region for a new experience
called a via ferrata.
- The Gift
- A Scoutmaster's simple instruction in firebuilding
also proved to be a lifetime lesson about overcoming failure.
Copyright © 2004 by the Boy Scouts of America. All rights
thereunder reserved; anything appearing in Scouting magazine or on its
Web site may not be reprinted either wholly or in part without written permission.
Because of freedom given authors, opinions may not reflect official concurrence.